In 4 years my plan is to move with my family into a small cabin, less than 600 square feet and own only 100 items. Enjoy each and every single day with simple joys! ~Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.~ 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Plans for the bedroom

Another two beautiful hours outside sitting in the shade of the Royal Palonia tree, while the wind rustles the leaves. This time though my older daughter is at the mall with a friend, while younger daughter whines about wanting to go inside. Less than perfect, but still wonderful to be outside. Hubby worked on cutting dead limbs off a Crimson King tree with a small hand saw.

Back inside again, I did a load of dishes while younger daughter escapes to the school room, where the computer is kept and hubby goes on to his Ipod to play a game. I asked him to put something away when I mentioned that, that item wasn't going with us to the log cabin. His response was "I like it", well then it is one of HIS hundred items! This started me thinking again about my 100 item goal. I have had lots of opinions on it ranging from support, to thoughts I was crazy, to comments about "are you going to count each pin". No one is challenging me to do this, but God has asked me to. He wasn't exactly clear on what does count as part of the hundred items, so for now I have some "play" room to learn for myself what should count (for example the cedar chest I am keeping will count as 1 item and whatever fits inside will still be part of that 1 item). Hubby and I have been entrusted with many family heirlooms....none of which will leave our care. I have spent quite some time thinking about this. With our bedroom being the room of the week, I know exactly which furniture pieces are going and which we are getting rid of.

Currently in my bedroom has a wardrobe that belonged to my Great Grandmother, a beautiful hand-made cedar chest that my Great Uncle Ted made in the early 1900's while he was in high school, our bed, which is just a frame with a boxspring and mattress, a secretary desk that belonged to my step-mother's mom, a chair that I use with the secretary and a small cabinet that hubby uses as a night stand. We need a bed, but in 4 years we will probably purchase a new one and this one will go. The cedar chest is easy....it is going with us! No doubt about that! I have decided today that it will hold all my childhood memories, so whatever doesn't fit, will be given away. Right now it is filled with my Great Aunt Ann's memories, the ones she created with Uncle Ted, some baby items I was saving for a baby boy, pictures that I really want in frames, and some other miscellaneous stuff. Some items I really don't know what to do with. My Great Aunt Ann, who is 92, lives in a nursing home close to my home, but sadly doesn't remember much because of advanced dementia. I have a small flower from her wedding. It is hard to tell at this point that it is a flower, but it is. I'm really not sure what to do with it. Keeping it would mean another 50 years or so sitting in the cedar chest, but the thought of throwing away something she has kept all these years doesn't seem right either. This will be one of the hardest items I have to decide about.

The secretary is a nice piece, I like and use it, but I'm not sure there will be a spot for it in the cabin, so for now it is labeled "maybe". The cabinet is easy, we got it at Target 3 years ago and we have no attachment to it! It is going out at the yard sale! The wardrobe we are keeping, not only is it old and special, it will be where we store all our clothing. On one side it has a pull out hanging rod and on the other it has 6 drawers. We each have our own sock and unmentionable drawers, and I have a jewelry drawer and he has a shorts drawer. It is small, but it works. I will have to count the hangers in there since it requires special hangers that I don't think you can buy anymore. Hopefully there are 9 for each of us. 3 winter shirts, 3 summer shirts, 1 church outfit and 2 pairs of pants. Hubby tells me he needs an extra 10 for work shirts, so we will have to be creative on where we store those. Maybe in the "shorts" drawer.

The closet will be easy for me to clean out as I don't really form attachments to clothing. I already told hubby that I will turn his old t-shirts into a quilt, so he can still enjoy them without taking up closet space. That reminds me, there is a quilt rack in there too, but I'm willing to part with it too.

I will work on taking some pictures, as I'm sure my blog is pretty boring to read and pictures would help spice it up!

Hugs and Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment