In 4 years my plan is to move with my family into a small cabin, less than 600 square feet and own only 100 items. Enjoy each and every single day with simple joys! ~Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.~ 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Why am I doing this?

I have been asked quite a few times why I'm doing this. Most people think I'm crazy. Well I might be crazy, but I don't think the reason I am doing it is. My "things" take time away from my family, we work hard to have money to continue to pay for these "things"....we never seem to get ahead and are always falling behind and we see less and less of each other. My husband and my children are important to me, I'm not going to have them forever. My husband has been diagnosed with a life threatening illness, he could live for many years, even out live me, or he could die this week. In fact even without a life threatening illness, we don't know how long our stay is here on Earth. I could be gone tomorrow and how will I have spent my today? Probably cleaning, organizing, digging through a box to find something I am wanting. Wasting time on "things" that could be spent with my family or doing something I enjoy. We work hard and what do we have to show for it? A mortgage and car we can't afford, a house full of "things" that will probably be sold for a quarter each when we died. We have been married 12 years and only been able to take one vacation. I am choosing my family over "things", I'm choosing a life of less because I know in the end it will be the richest life I could possibly have. God has put so many things into my life for me to realize this is the path He wants me to take and I'm not going to resist any longer....I'm going to walk this path with Him.

Yesterday I taught a sewing lesson, made $20 and then had to spend $80 to have my van towed after it broke down in the middle of an intersection, the same vehicle we can't afford. We don't have the money to repair it, so I'm without for however long it takes. God has a plan and I don't always see it or understand, but there is a plan.

1 comment:

  1. I think what you're doing sounds great!! I've been rethinking the way we've done life too and feeling pulled to a much simpler, less stuff kind of life. We're in the process of talking it through and praying about the steps we need to take. I pray that your path to a simple life will be smooth and also for your husband's health and that the van fix will not take too long. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete