In 4 years my plan is to move with my family into a small cabin, less than 600 square feet and own only 100 items. Enjoy each and every single day with simple joys! ~Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.~ 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Monday, October 4, 2010

My simplicity

After receiving a hurtful written attack on the choices I am making, I thought it was time to talk to address my choices.

Simplicity isn't about giving up or sacrificing, it is about deciding what is important and focusing on that.  Yes I am giving up most of what I own, but that is a choice and one I'm very happy about.  Could I get a full time job and work endless hours in hopes of keeping what isn't really important, yes I could, but at what cost?  My children will only be young once, I will only have one chance to raise them and see them at this age.  They grow so quickly.  I will only have one chance to spend this time with my husband to take care of him and our home.  I choice to "give up" the stuff to keep my life with my family.  Stuff can steal so much from us, our time to clean it, our money to maintain it, our relationships because we are too busy "playing" with computers, video games, electronics, and other modern day toys.

The pioneers had a hard life, they traveled west and could only take what would fit in their wagon.  Some died along the way, but they did it for what was important to them.  Their family and a better future.  I think if they were to see today what we have, they would trade everything we "own" for health and time as a family. Our society makes it easy to want more and more, I read a blog this morning that promotes family and even it encouraged buying, yes it was innocent, but it was still there.  Ads line the pages of the internet, are in between every tv show, and even along the road as we drive.  We are taught that it is ok to want and not only that it is ok, that it is our right to have more and more and more.  Credit card companies provide us with instant happiness, but what happens when the bills come in?  Is the joy we originally had still there?  Do we still look at the dress we got on sale for $45 with the same joy after we month after month pay for it on a credit card with the interest rate going up and up?  It is so freeing to give everything up, it is freeing to know that I don't need to buy the "next newest things", to keep up the Joneses.

When I started this journey, I started alone, I didn't ask my husband or my children to join me.  I felt God was asking me to do this and if He wanted them to join me, He would guide them to that decision.  So I started cleaning out and praying for my family to join me one day.  It didn't take long for my husband to join me, he sold his paintball set, which was huge for him.  My younger daughter was thrilled with doing laundry by plunger and giving up new and eating better, she is still not crazy about the 100 item plan, but there is still time.  My older daughter, who will be 15 this month, is ok with moving to a cabin, and giving up "stuff", isn't thrilled with the idea of hand washing when she knows there is a machine in the basement and she isn't too thrilled about giving up some of her favorite foods, but that is ok, if God wants her to come around it will happen.  I am choosing to walk this path with God, I know that is hard for people to understand.  I am choosing to live a life that people rarely do in this day and age, but I'm happy with it.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear you recieved hurtful words from someone. I think what you're doing is wonderful. For several generations now, our culture has been promoting the idea that we should work more and get more and more stuff. What has it gotten us? Broken families, children who have no respect for their parents or authority, parents who don't know their kids, and lots of hurting people trying to fill the void with money and things. I don't know how anyone can find fault with someone who is trying to focust on what is most important. As you follow God, I know he will lead you into an amazing life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with tea above and I think your post is thoughtfully written. I never understand why people take the time to criticize in any aspect of life. I believe you are doing the right thing and look forward to being dually inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you are doing, and I agree whole heartedly with what you are doing.
    God called us to start simplifying our life a few years ago. Up until that point we had been completely living in our flesh, and being a young newly married couple we fell into the idea that we had to have nice things, and be able to buy "stuff" to have a good life.

    Nothing good came of following society, we are now over $20,000 in debt because of stuff (no car or house debt, just "stuff") Our children suffered, our marraige suffered, our emotional well being suffered and now that we know better we are having to deal with trying to get out of this pit we are living in, which feels next to impossible right now, and I'm constantly feeling discouraged and wondering how we are even going to make it month to month....all because we had to have "stuff" just like everyone else.

    I want you to know that your blog has reinspired me, and I find it very much needed as we also try to simplify our lives, and get back to what's really important, and remember what true needs are.

    Just remember that trying to live simply can often times make others take a closer look at their own life, and when people do that they often don't like what they see, and may get defensive about it, and try to justify to themselves and other their own choices. Don't ever take harsh words personally, harsh words are due to others problems, not yours.

    I love you blog, and look forward to many more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the support! I really appreciate it. It is so nice to come on and see more followers and comments :-) They make my day.

    ReplyDelete